Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Whew! Another post for today!

I'm going to add a link for the Long Now Foundation today.

Several years ago, I heard (or read?) a review of the book, The Clock of the Long Now. The author, Stewart Brand, talks about the qualities of time, how people perceive it and how our perceptions about it affect how we behave in responsible or irresponsible ways.

One concept that he talked about in the book, that I haven't forgotten, is the "Singularity." My recollection is that many elements in our world (including us) will go faster and faster until, at the point of the Singularity, there will be some sort of informational meltdown. I may not be recalling his ideas accurately, but that is what has stuck with me. (Count on fearful things to be the things we remember!)
_______________

No comments: