Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Finally I can set up MMWS

For the past four years, in mid-March, our extended family has a 'tournament' surrounding the NCAA Men's College Basketball Tournament. Somebody (me?) dubbed it "March Madness Wendish Spartans," a real mouthful, especially when you've had a beer or three.

Yahoo administers the site. We usually have about nine or ten people participate in it. Everybody picks kind of silly names or very Spartan names, just to contribute to the lightly competitive, fun atmosphere surrounding the tournament.

Some of my favorite names over the years have been, "Snazzy Pants," "shots_and_giggles," "The Old Man," and, of course, "His Main Squeeze." I rue the fact that I never seem to come up with a truly provocative or wildly zany name. For example, my name this year is "Spartan_Mamacita." Ho-hummmm.

Of course, it's not too late to change it. Maybe I'll have a creative dream tonight, wherein my subconscious will really cough one up. One can always hope.

This Yahoo site also has the ability for group members to write messages to the group as a whole. Some messages are conversational, some informational, some downright emphatic! I would guess that Lina and I, being the chatty ENFPs that we are, probably post the most messages. (It will be interesting to maintain our MMWS postings, as well as a blog, as well as our personal emails! Yikes, who's got time to work with all that writing and corresponding to do?)

The Big Ten tournament gets underway this Thursday, I believe. The championship game will be Sunday afternoon. And the NCAA Selection Committee will announce their picks, bubbles and all, Sunday night at 6 p.m.

At that point, Yahoo (or whatever computer fairy does this work?) will post all 64 teams in their appropriate line-up in the four regional brackets (North, South, East, West) and then each of a zillion, million participants gets to make their individual predictions on who will win, who will lose, who will advance and who's OUT!

Being a true, loyal and bleedin' green Spartan, I really want our guys, Izzo's guys to make a faithful showing at the tournament. We can only hope . . . and we will wait to see.

No comments: