Saturday, March 27, 2004

a gray spring morning

We crossed over into spring last weekend (Saturday, I do believe) and it barely registered on my "seasons" radar. I was in Milwaukee, along with my newly-transplanted Virginian sister, Ruth, visiting Yosh in his cool urban apartment and Lina from the Mad City.

The "official" reason we got together was to watch the opening rounds of the 2004 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament . . . but, who needs a reason to spend time with people you love and who make you feel good like these people do?

I had a relaxing, laugh-filled, three days there. We bought rich, oily coffee from Alterra (for me to bring home to my honey), bottles and bottles of red wine from Tom at Downers Wines and Spirits, and produce and cheese from Sendiks', across the road. We watched practically countless games of b-ball, read poetry to one another between the games, and I soaked my big toe a lot, which is ingrown (ewww!) and hurting. Is talking about an ingrown toenail too much disclosure? Oversharing??

We talked about everything under the sun and beyond. Ruth and I commiserated about our respective mates and the challenges of watching them struggle with jobs, careers and education. Neither of us have chosen those particular paths and seek to support our mates while getting our own needs met.

We talked quite a bit about family relationships and what it means to be a family. We even talked/speculated about gathering in Philly for the Fourth of July weekend as an extended family unit. We'll see how that all plays out.

No comments: