Friday, March 12, 2004

Remember when?

Yesterday, Yosh and Lina and I were having a fun, "remember-when?" conversation. The topic turned to them recalling the song, "Ghostbuster" from the movie of the same name. Caroline wrote:

"Yep, remember we had the little single of it? It was one of those smaller records."

And just hearing her describe it like that, amused, I wrote back:

"(laughing) . . . Uh, that would be a '45.' As in 45 rpm, as opposed to 33-1/3 rpm or the real old ones, 78 rpm.

We're talking about the technological Dark Ages here."

Which got me thinking . . . yes, those years of albums and 45s, all prior to CDs, mp3s and iPods, does seem like the Dark Ages. And we all thought we were so cool, so hip, so modern!

I wrote later in our volley of emails that I remember buying a 45 for 79 cents. I recall feeling so excited! I bought it for the side A song. I rarely cared about what was on side B. That was a freebie.

Heck, I remember helping my grandmother, Nana, clean her house and moving this pile of ancient, heavy records that she called 78s. Each was ensconsced in its own thick, manila-brown wrapper. And the 78s themselves were thick, too. Our 33-1/3 rpms were so much more sleek and lightweight and modern!

Transitioning from hearing Patsy Cline on the radio as our family traveled two-lane highways to the old homestead in Texas, to watching iPOD commercials advertising hundreds of songs on something you carry easily in one hand -- that's a lot of transition. It helps me realize that I have been around for quite a while! Which means that I am probably older on the outside than I feel on the inside!

No comments: