Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Mustn't forget to tell you this!

Dragon Mood? -- charmed and charming

I feel like I'm still catching up from being sick last week.

When I was about ten or eleven, I read Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" and I loved it! I didn't want the book to end! As the years have passed, I haven't forgotten the book and always wanted to re-read it. I did just that last week ... I read it one afternoon and evening.

I had so much fun, I kept reading and lolled and frolicked in her three companion books/stories, "A Wind in the Door," "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" and "Many Waters."

The neatest part for me was how I felt: like a ten-year old again, young and carefree and free to lose myself in the stories. I was right there with Meg and Charles Wallace and Mrs. Murry and the twins.

I wish there were more stories about the three "witches" (who were really not witches at all): Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which. If I could be one of them, I would be Mrs. Whatsit with all her multiple layers and odd combinations of clothing. She was the "communicator" of the bunch.

And, I loved how "Wrinkle" began: "It was a dark and stormy night." What a hoot! Ms. L'Engle obviously has a sense of humor!

I could crawl into bed right now, open the book and be a young girl again. What a delight!

No comments: