Thursday, May 26, 2005

And another book I read...

...was the delightful love story, The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I ordered it from QPB back last winter and hadn't gotten around to reading it until the big bad flu struck.
Henry De Tamble is a Chicago librarian with "Chrono Displacement" disorder; at random times, he suddenly disappears without warning and finds himself in the past or future, usually at a time or place of importance in his life. This leads to some wonderful paradoxes. From his point of view, he first met his wife, Clare, when he was 28 and she was 20. She ran up to him exclaiming that she'd known him all her life. He, however, had never seen her before.
I thought Niffenegger did a great job of keeping the reader oriented, considering how potentially disorienting all the flashbacks might have been. I loved getting to know Henry and Clare both. I wanted them to be happy even with Henry's curious disorder.

I'd definitely recommend the book to others. In fact, I already have: my sister and a co-worker. By virtue of blood, my sister will be getting my copy before too long.

No comments: