Saturday, June 05, 2004

"When the moon hits the sky like a big pizza pie . . . "

As an adult, I have fallen in love with the moon.

When I was a kid, gee, sometimes the moon was there, sometimes it wasn't. Big deal. What's to get excited about?

But now, . . . well, now I can feel mushy and gushy and rhapsodize over the moon.

Like this week. Oh my gosh, the moon has been full and resplendent and creamily luscious this week.

Tuesday night it was almost full. Hanging there in a sky that was the darkest of blues, it teased me, hiding behind gauzy, thin clouds sliding slowly by, and then, it would emerge, lightening and brightening everything around me. I held up my hand and could see its shadow on the concrete of our backyard patio. I basked in its light and shamelessly moonbathed.

Wednesday night, I saw the moon only fleetingly. It was not my night to enjoy her voluptuous loveliness.

Thursday night, I was driving back to the big city late. The moon was jutting up over the treeline, glowing in rich hues of apricot that flowed into deep pumpkin-y orange. Ohhhh! And, low on the horizon like that, the moon always looks seductively full. "Don't move, moon ... let me look at you!" I struggled to keep my attention focused on the traffic whizzing by me, while the moon played hide-and-seek with me in the night sky.

With such a lovely orb to behold as our moon, can you imagine what it would be like to be a resident of Jupiter with two?

Here is a cool website that features the current phase of the moon. Today, it tells me that it is a "Waning Gibbous, 79.6% of Full."

No comments: