Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Bad News

Dragon Mood? -- shocked

In this time when it's almost impossible to listen to any media source and not hear bad news, ... well, I've got my own story to tell now.

Yesterday, the last day of March, I was laid off, sacked, given the boot; however you want to say it, I am now unemployed.

And this is no April Fool's joke. I wish.

(heavy sigh)

We were cautioned about six weeks ago that layoffs were coming. At the beginning of February, however, I was given a merit raise for my job performance. I was sent to three days of training in March for an upcoming software update. Would you conclude that you were targeted for layoff based on those actions? I wasn't.

So, honestly, I was surprised. Shocked actually. As my boss's boss greeted me in a conference room with the requisite Human Resources person, my heart began to pound. I thought for sure they could hear it, it was so loud in my chest. I just wanted to cry out, "No, no, NOT ME!"

So, I am now unemployed. I join the ranks and crowds and hundreds of thousands of people out of work. Small comfort in not being alone.

Damn!

No comments: