Friday, March 30, 2007

volunteering

Dragon Mood? -- liking it

Volunteering is something , sad to say, that I've steered clear of since I left my Lutheran congregation over ten years ago. Between feeling a bit burned out and religious peoples' dithering on whether gays are or are not welcome in their community ... well, I'd had enough.

Just this past week, however, I began volunteering at a local career center. It's a place I've been visiting weekly for the past two months or so, attending workshops, meeting people, gathering resources and giving my bruised self-confidence a welcome boost of you-can-do-it!

I'm currently working on one project, spiffing up and adding some graphics to a PowerPoint presentation that is used in a experienced worker seminar. Not surprisingly, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. And hearing appreciative comments from the instructors and facilitators at the center are balm for my soul.

Can you still call it volunteering when you feel like you're getting more than you're giving?

No comments: