Wednesday, March 14, 2007

from Madison via train and memories

Dragon Mood? -- relaxed, sentimental and remembering

Chillin' out in my PJs, I'm here in Madison, at Caroline's house, enjoying a quiet, lazy day. Lina is finishing up her work week with a "Friday" Wendishday.

This evening, we've got plans to drink a loaded-up Bloody Mary at a local pub. Dinner plans are still evolving.

Tomorrow morning, we have a breakfast date at a local eatery called Lazy Janes and then we're hitting one of Caroline's favorite spots, St. Vinny's. Tomorrow afternoon, we'll grab up the dog and head down to Chicago to join Ruth, Paul, Josh, Aaron and Jess for some serious March Madness basketball watching. Oh yes, and maybe a little drinking and painting and cooking and kitchen-planning thrown in there for variety and amusement.

I thoroughly enjoyed my train ride yesterday ... my FIRST train ride in probably over 20 years! The ride was smoother then I remembered them being. I rode "backwards," ... facing backwards, that is; it was only until we were in Indiana, did I realize that half of the railcar's seats face foward and half face rearward. I had plunked myself into the first available seat, never realizing I had a choice!

Riding in a train, listening to the muted "whoo-whoo" of the whistle as we crossed one road after another, evoked many, many memories, young child memories of my grandmother, Nana, and her traveling on train to visit us. We would drive to Des Moines to pick her up at the train station.

I remember being afraid of the immensity of the train itself, its noisy clanking, the hiss of steam brakes (I presume) and this unfamiliar metallic smell that I disliked. I also remember being totally exhilarated at the prospect of Nana's visit. I can see her being helped down off of the train by a porter, all decked out in a dark suit, her little fox fur capelet draped around her shoulders. She had on a little hat that included some artfully-arranged netting on her permed hair and she wore makeup and lipstick. She exuded the fragrance of Chanel No. 5.

Ruth and I couldn't wait to sit next to her in the backseat of the car on the ride home to Ames. Dad drove while Mom sat next to him, although she spent most of the trip turned around, talking to her mom. They exchanged news and local gossip of LaGrange and the surrounding area. I remember feeling lulled by the rhythms of their conversation, a familiar give-and-take, that gave me a fulfilled sense of joy, safety and "all's right with the world." Nana was here!

Such wonderful child-memories, all from a simple train ride!

No comments: