Thursday, March 01, 2007

Differently?

Dragon Mood? -- wiggling and squirming, wondering how I'm gonna answer this question

In a post celebrating her sixth blog anniversary, Dooce says this: "Is there anything in my life that I wish I could go back and do differently? Yes. One thing. I wish had worn more sunscreen. You?"

So, here's my answer, Heather ... and the rest of the world:
  • I definitely should have continued working on my art after ninth grade

  • I definitely should have worn a Giant Maxi-Pad to my commencement instead of that skimpy little tampon ... what with wearing a white graduation robe and all!

  • I definitely should have told my dad to take a hike when he "strongly encouraged" (read "pushed") me into studying computer science instead of commercial art in college.

  • I definitely should have drunk more at my wedding reception.

  • I definitely should have learned how to fight more fairly with my then-husband. Storming out and not returning for hours on end is no way to resolve conflict.

  • I wish I had studied lots more history in my earlier years.

  • I wish I would have taken photos of all the calendars I made over the years for ELFCO, the East Lansing Food Cooperative. Damn, all that creative energy undocumented!

  • I wish I would have watched my children as they slept more. I was usually so tired myself or craving some quiet, I would find a place to curl up and replenish.

  • I wish I would have sketched and doodled and kept all those remarkable sketches and doodles in cool sketching notebooks like Moleskines all these years!

  • I wish I could have taken in the fact that I am a physically beautiful woman and not internalized so many shaming comments I heard my mother say about her own body as I was growing up. Now, when I look at earlier photos of myself, I see a woman who was generally trim and healthy-looking. So much wasted energy agonizing over my appearance!

  • In the same spirit of energy conservation, I definitely should quit obsessing about death. When it's time, it's time. When my time comes, ready or not, here I come. And changes or no changes, regrets or no regrets, it's been and continues to be a wonderful life!

No comments: