Friday, June 30, 2006

Gettin' ready for the Fourth of July

Dragon Mood? -- pumped up!

S and I are preparing to leave the pied-a-terre, take a week off, head back to mid-Michigan, celebrate the Fourth of July and enjoy one another's company.

I'm excited about S having a week off. She certainly sounds ready for some time off. As for me, it feels rather funny, in the absence of a constraining, restrictive work schedule. While some might think that for an unemployed person, every day must feel like a vacation, I can tell them, "It certainly doesn't!" I'm working on looking at job postings, tailoring my resume to this job or that, rewriting cover letters to fit a particular application. You would be amazed at how much time that takes ... as well as energy.

I have also been working on teaching myself Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft FrontPage. I'm doing much better on the first one than I am on the second. Again, it comes down to lack of time. I know, I know ... that sounds crazy when you know I have the whole day, every damn day ... but I run out of time ... and could actually use more. Either I simply get physically tired sitting here on a folding chair, trying to hold good posture ... or I get cotton-headed from mental fatigue ... or it gets too darn warm upstairs in the afternoon heat ... or, well, you get the picture.

Truth be told, I am loving the freedom of this unemployed time. If there just wasn't that money piece missing in this quality-of-life puzzle, you know?? What a headache money is ... and such a necessity ... especially when you are trying to pay the mortgages on two houses, COBRA payments, gas for cars, cell phones, blahbiddy-blah-blah-blah.

Anyway, I digress.

What I'm feeling quite sad about actually is not having access to a computer for a week! WAAAAAHHHHH! I think I'm going to go through withdrawal! -- hell, I know I am! Anyway, I'm talking to myself, comforting myself that it's gonna be okay and the week will be over with before I know it, and it will be good for me to have a break from the computer .... again, blahbiddy-blah-blah-blah.

Whew!

Oh, yeah ... one more thing. I got the surprising and exciting news that my sister, Ruth, and her husband, Paul, and two of their three kids, Jess and Luke, are going to be passing through our neck of the woods this weekend. They will be driving in late, late this evening from their respective points eastward and southward to spend the night with S and me. I'm SO looking forward to visiting with them, having some time to talk and laugh and reconnect. Jess has tales to tell from Italy, Luke has a whole school year of stories from France, and Ruth and Paul can tell us about all their new job/new city adventures!

Oh, it's gonna be fun!

No comments: