Thursday, June 15, 2006

Second Time Around

Dragon Mood? -- touchy but working on my working attitude

This week, Newsweek has a cover article on "How to Change Careers," targeted at us baby boomers. It's a pretty good article on "Career 2.0" as it's called, though I couldn't help but detect a slight note of "youth-centric" smugness from the author (probably some whipper-snapper under the age of 42?). Then again, peerhaps I'm just feeling overly old, overly over-the-hill and overly sensitive???

The really good part of this timely article FOR ME was a slight perceptual shift in my thinking. Yes, I was laid off from my job. Yes, I didn't like or care for my employer nor how they treated their employees. But, nevertheless, I persisted in seeing myself as something of a victim, treated badly by this former employer. BAH, Humbug!

Reading the article, a lightbulb went ON for me that I am in the midst of a transition, launching a new era, exploring this uncharted sea of worklife a SECOND TIME AROUND! I may not have chosen the time for this transition to begin, but truth be told, I am damn happy to be 'outta there' and moving on in my life. I am in the midst of my very own Career 2.0!

Like I said, it's a slight shift, but a significant shift nevertheless for me. And it's a GOOD shift, wouldn't you agree? It's always better to see oneself as making choices rather than just reacting, yes? A strong, persistent advocate for one's own progress and advancement rather than a victim, a poor schmuck waiting to be beat down by the vagaries of life? Yes, absolutely YES!

So ... where to go from here?

Well, I have redoubled my efforts in applying for jobs. If there's a job out there meant for me, I will certainly do my part by applying for it. But beyond that, I am starting to think about other possibilities: going back to school, volunteering to get my foot "in the door," considering several part-time jobs and the flexibilities that may offer. There are endless possibilities.

I'm feeling excited and energized.

No comments: