Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Wendishday

It's Wednesday, Wendishday and hump day.

I recently read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. One of the protagonists in that novel is named Wednesday. It's marketed as science fiction, which I usually don't read. With my interest in theology, it was actually the title that prompted me to read about the book, buy it as a gift for S, and then borrow it to read (talk about blatant opportunism). I'm still hoping that S will find it quasi-enjoyable to read.

Gaiman hooked me with a story I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. I marveled at all the wild, crazy people that Shadow encounters in the book, while at the same time, I liked feeling the tensions building towards the climax of the story.

Find it and read it.

It's also, of course, Wendishday (with a nod toward my Wild Wendish pirate daughter).

And then, it's hump day. This week is crawling along, so it feels like it's taken forever just to get to mid-day Wednesday.

I'm still "recovering" from all the hyper-cleaning, mega-hosting and ultra-socializing that we did this weekend, celebrating my nephew, Luke's graduation. I have felt so tired that I made a double effort to start taking my multi-vitamins again, along with nine hours of sleep last night.

My dad and step-mom, Evelyn, are returning to the big city tonight in preparation for their flight back to Texas tomorrow. I'm awaiting their phone call so we can make arrangements to have dinner together. I've done the Mapquest thing, routing us from their airport hotel to this well-known restaurant chain called LaShish. S and I have eaten there several times over the years, though not recently. They have authentic, yummy Middle Eastern fare.

And, while I write this, my son, Yosh, over on the "other side of the lake," is hopefully breezing through a four-and-a-half hour exam, his fourth actuarial exam. I am sending affirming thoughts and loving energy his way.

No comments: