Tuesday, May 18, 2004

A transformation

I work in the same area as a woman named Tina. Recently, Tina cut her hair short and I complimented her on it.

Within the past two or three weeks, Tina began wearing a head scarf, covering her hair and head entirely. I wanted to ask her about it, but no good opportunity presented itself.

This afternoon, I met Tina at the copier and finally asked her if she had undergone some "transformation," based on her new head covering? She smiled and told me that she liked the term, "transformation." She told me that she is a Muslim, and that the Qur'an instructs women to cover themselves around men. Only recently, has she decided to do that.

I asked her what covering her head means to her. She said that it identifies her to others as a Muslim woman, and it represents a shift for her in the way that she sees herself. She said she was a little bit nervous about how others would see her, especially her family, as well as friends and people at work. She told me that I was only the third person at work to ask her about her headscarf. She said that many people look at her inquiringly, but do not ask.

Finally, I asked her if there is an Arabic word for her headscarf? She told me that it is hijab.

These verses from the Qur'an contain two main injunctions:
(1). A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and

(2). the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.
Tina also pointed out to me that she is now wearing long-sleeve tops and long skirts to cover her legs. I had not picked up on the long-sleeved clothing. When I asked her if she has found it a difficult transition, physically, wearing a hajib, she replied that wearing long-sleeved tops has been the more difficult change for her.

No comments: