Saturday, September 10, 2005

More on Backpack

Dragon Mood? -- dragons love to COLLECT THINGS in backpack!

I find that I use Backpack most at work. S bought me a very nice iPAQ which I use when I have an "Aha!" moment all the other times. The iPAQis currently still in recovery from an almost terminal strobe-light attack (more on that some other time).

So, let me recap:
  • I like to use Backpack at work because I'm already at the computer and online.
  • I like to use my iPAQ for all the other times I need to capture something to remember, brilliant ideas to explore and/or just to play with the software. And, it needs to be said, the iPAQ definitely has its limitations, especially on data input.

my backpack home page

Currently in Backpack, because I have a free account, I'm limited to five pages. For now, that is sufficient. I DO appreciate that the folks at 37signals allow people like myself to explore and play with their product. If it was a "pay only" thing, I know that I wouldn't.

My pages now include a page on medical prescription costs (which I'm trying to track for next year -- another post), a page of quotations that I like, a page on future job dreaming and envisioning and finally, a page on an imaginary world (when reality REALLY is getting to me). I think that is four pages. It seems like I read somewhere that the 37signals folk don't count your home page, which is very nice and generous of them.

Backpack also enables you to email stuff to each of your pages. Each page has an individualized address like "frederic78cynthia@calypsodragon13.backpackit.com" I've tested that functionality out a bit and it works (hurray!) and is useful (even better!).

I use to have an account at Squarespace which I have allowed to lapse. The creator of Squarespace has his own blog and he posted about Backpack. I'm not going to quote it here, but he did question whether Backpack is functional when you're working fast and furious and want to note something for future reference. He admitted that he usually uses Notepad for quick and dirty notations.

No comments: