Friday, September 24, 2004

Embracing change

Dragon Mood? -- excited and sad; choosing something new while giving up something familiar

I did something BIG this week. I changed my address.

I / We are giving up our post office box in the little Indian village by the Red Cedar (Warning: mounting soapbox --"which has morphed into another traffic-clogged, where's-the-center-of-town-now?, procession of mini-malls and shopping centers"). It's all very familiar and known. (This is the village where I went to high school, for crying out loud! That's how familiar and known it is to me!) But . . . and you knew there was a "but" coming, it has become more and more inconvenient to pick up our mail at that post office. Plus, it's necessary for me to do this for tax reasons (thanks a lot, IRS!) So, this week, I compiled a list of businesses and contacts that I notified of a change of address. My new address will be at our pied-a-terre, while S will maintain her post office box out here in Sticksville, for tax and employment purposes . . .

. . . which, reflecting upon this change, is pretty significant. It represents cutting my ties (at least, in a formal, legal way) with the area where I've lived, literally, for the past forty years (it will be forty years in '05). And if you knew me like I know me, that's amazing! I love change and I embrace change, but I never could have imagined living in one area, marrying, having kids, divorcing, falling in love with a woman, . . . all these years without leaving. NEVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED IT! Even the astrologer, when she analyzed my horoscope, was amazed that I haven't traveled and lived IN OTHER PLACES! It's right there in my natal chart, for all to see!

So . . . leaving my natal chart for the moment and just being still, I realize that I am grieving. I am grieving a loss. I am realizing that I no longer live here, now I live there. And I now live in a place, literally, formally, legally, that I never wanted to live. And that's big TOO!

No comments: