Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Willy

Willy is the custodian for our area of the building. He is always here, as ever-present as the lights and the coffee and the hum of the computers.

Willy is a good custodian. He appears to take a lot of pride in doing his job well. The areas in this part of the building definitely reflect Willy's hard work and his care.

On a more personal note, Willy is a small, trim man. He reminds me a bit of Sammy Davis, Jr. He has a soft South-Carolinian accent and a downright cute giggle.

I hadn't seen Willy last week and chalked it up to vacation, what with Easter and all. I finally asked another woman that works here, "Where's Willy?" and she replied that Willy got transferred. He got transferred to another building? Just like that? Just like that!

I don't know why, but I'm feeling more and more disturbed by sudden, abrupt personnel changes. People are here one day and gone the next. No farewells, no chance to say good-bye, nothing. I really hate that! It bothers me! People aren't objects, to be discarded with no comment and preemptorily replaced.

Our lives here at this center of "knowledge" revolve around software. A new release of a particular application warrants emails, voice mails, sometimes even staff meetings.

But there is no recognition of a person, not even a comment, when a person, a significant person like Willy leaves.

No comments: