Friday, May 18, 2007

Winding down from a busy, busy week

Dragon Mood? -- fatigued and energized at the same time?

For a rather cold, rainy week (which in my mind equates to long, drugged-like naps), it's been a busy week for me. S and I started out the week so incredibly tired from our second jaunt up north in two weeks, I think we rolled through Monday and Tuesday in a veritable fog.

Tuesday afternoon, I met with the facilitator at the career center where I've been volunteering. I handed off a PowerPoint presentation that I went through, reformatted and cleaned up a bit that she uses every week. Heather is always very effusive in her thanks and this time was no exception.

Wednesday morning I met with a recruiter new to me, an MSU grad (which made me feel more "open" to him from the get-go), who was a particularly good listener and helped me to feel okay about all my worries and misgivings. He didn't make extravagant promises, but left me with a feeling that he could be a strong advocate for me. All good stuff!

I forgot that Tuesday evening I also went to a volunteer orientation for a LGBT center that recently opened near us. I was tired (surprise) and had actually considered bombing out on the orientation meeting. I'm glad I didn't. The meeting was chaired by a young, energetic gay man named Brandon who was light and funny and informative, all at the same time. He made me feel most welcome and I felt "noticed" and appreciated. Isn't it funny the things that you crave when you're unemployed?

This week I also sent out resumes or received calls on at least two promising-looking jobs. One is with a former Big Three employer of mine. I'm keeping myself very much in a self-protective mode and doing lots of emotional "checks" as to how I'm feeling about that. Time will tell. I also got a quick response from a recruiter for another older manufacturing biggie here in Motown, looking for designers. I had to fill out a rather lengthy pre-interview questionnaire. Again, time will tell whether they're interested in me or not.

I spent the better part of an afternoon, working on some graphic stuff for my niece and nephews for a something-something that's in the works right now. Cryptic, I know, but necessary ... at least for now.

I finally, finally, FINALLY sent off a package containing a neti pot for my elderly uncle down in Port Arthur, Texas. Can you believe that blankety-blank thing's been sitting on our dining room table for over eight frickin' weeks? ArrrghhH! I don't know what has been going on with me, but I simply could not -- repeat, COULD NOT -- bring myself to tape that thing up and mail it. This week, all of the sudden, I could. And, I DID!

I also mailed off to all three of my father's siblings a lengthy recap of notes I took five-and-a-half years ago (yes, I know -- isn't that pathetic?) regarding family history and asked them to read it, review it and make the necessary changes and/or additions. After languishing such a long time on my computer, mailing those "stories" really feels good!

I've paid bills, transferred funds (robbing Peter to pay Paul, you know?) faxed job-related documents to the appropriate people, gone through some old mail, cleaned out some cluttery piles of paper (Yay!), recycled things that needed recycling ... why, I even went to the hardware store and replaced our just-burned out fluorescent bulb under the kitchen cabinets. Wow!, can you believe I've got that done already? I hardly can!

I've swapped the cars around, filled the little trash-mobile's gas tank so S and I can drive it back to the pinetree house, ride-sharing and saving gas. We're ALL about saving money on gas these days!

Whew! It's been a busy, busy week!

No comments: