Monday, May 07, 2007

Monday night recap

Dragon Mood? -- still catching up

Wow, where has the time gone? Four days have slipped away like sand between my fingers!

S and I headed up north Friday to begin work on a handicap ramp (photos yet to come!) for 91-year old Grandma ... when my cell phone rang with a recruiter on the other end. A job that they had contacted me about days earlier -- suddenly the manager wanted to have a phone interview that afternoon? I explained that I was traveling up north and could we do it Monday?

The interview happened this morning. It went well for me, not so well for the manager. He called an hour and fifteen minutes late, sounded embarassed and eased into the interview asking me about my mentioning on my resume that I play classical piano. I chuckled and responded with what I thought was appropriate.

We conversed for 20 minutes. The upshot is that I'm making the 100-mile journey tomorrow morning for an interview. (sigh)   Yes, another interview. (sigh) Yes, 200 miles and gas at $3-and-what a gallon? Just what an unemployed AND broke person like me needs, huh? Smack me upside the head, but I'm having trouble getting excited that anything real or tangible will come from this. Yup, I know ... smack me!

The good news is that our weekend up north was SO much more productive than S and I ever allowed ourselves to dream. S's sister, Michelle and her husband, Jim, came over Saturday and worked like troopers with us. Then, they came back Sunday and did it again! We got all the posts laid out, cemented and secured in the ground, as well as framing members laid out and secured. Other than three "fake" posts that need to be lagged into underlying joists, we're ready to begin laying the decking.

S and Jim determined that a small concrete pad also needs to be poured at the base of the handicap ramp. Jim has some experience with concrete so that will be his project, with us helping. S predicted that we'll lay out the forms for the concrete this coming weekend, as well.

Jeez, do you have ANY idea how nice it feels to have things go well and BETTER than planned for a change? Any idea?

The contrast between how my life has been going (or FEELS like it's been going) and how this past weekend went is a picture-window view into the increasingly worn-down, ground-down and embittered feelings I'm carrying around inside of me, like 100-lb bags full of calcified, pointy-sharp feelings. YeecchhH!

I need to spend some time tomorrow, as I'm driving through the southern Michigan countryside, contemplating that ... and figuring out what I can do to heave those bitter-heavy feelings out the window. Yes, I do!

No comments: