Thursday, October 26, 2006

Random thoughts

Dragon Mood? -- clearing out too many rattling-around thoughts

I haven't posted for over a week because I'VE BEEN BUSY.

Here's some things rattling around in my brain:
  • I'm settling into my new schedule. I started this past Monday on a regular 8-to-5 work schedule, although for me it's more like 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. I'm hoping to work four nine-hour days with a short Friday so I can get outta the Motor City before the traffic gets hellacious.
  • I'm discovering that I'm a bit sad at ordering my life around the alarm clock -- again. Yecch, I don't like alarm clocks. And ... I had a surprising revelation. The days are getting shorter. Being on second shift, I really wasn't noticing it. In the mornings, I was sleeping. At sunset, I was working in a windowless room, staring at a computer monitor. I simply wasn't dialed in on it. Now, back on days, I'm VERY aware of it. Another reason to be just a little bit sad. Good-bye, Summer. (heavy sigh) Hell-o, Winter.
  • I am really struggling with a modeling problem at work. It's occupying way too much of my available brain area and locking out other more pleasant, silly thoughts.
  • S and I did manage to get away this past weekend to celebrate our twenty years together. (See my previous post.) One of the images that I keep seeing in my head is while we were sitting in my car at the Stoney Lake beach parking lot. Lake Michigan was wild and wooly-looking with big waves, frothy whitecaps and the most beautiful blue-green color (lots of sand kicked up in the water). S and I remembered playing in water like that, in one of our past summer sojourns at Lake Michigan. Just not at the END OF OCTOBURRRR!
  • We visited Claybanks Pottery, one of our favorite destinations over on the west side of the state. We bought each other a mug to honor our anniversary, mine which is sitting in front of me here as I write, full of warming hot green tea.
  • Yesterday, I called my dad to wish him a Happy Birthday. He is now 78. I'm embarassed to say that I haven't seen him for two years. I call him and Evelyn almost every Sunday evening (as I drive down to the pied-a-terre). I wish we could be closer. I do miss seeing him.
  • I'm feeling a bit anxious about my upcoming visit with my regular doctor. Heaven only knows what news may await me. I suspect I've put on a few pounds with my unorthodox schedule of the past ten weeks and what impact that has had on my cholesterol, triglycerides and insulin levels remains to be seen.
  • Trusting that things will work out, I booked S and I for a week in St. Pete's Beach in mid-February. I also reserved airline tickets to get us down there. It's not exactly money that we have laying around, as you may well imagine ... but dammit, we need to have some fun in our lives. I loved staying at this funky little beach motel. According to the young lady who helped me with our reservation, the unit we're staying in this year (#3) is "2000% BETTER" than last winter's unit. Not funky, but actually NICE. I can't wait!
  • S continues to have too much trauma-drama with her mother ... this time over pictures. I'm trying to stay out of it, be a sympathetic listening ear when I can, but I can tell you this: I don't like it. S and I have been having numerous conversations about her trying to reduce the amount of "negative energy" in her life, because it has a direct correlation to her health. And her health is the worst it's been in the twenty-three years that I've known her. This ongoing thing with Sally is LOADED with negative energy. Yeeccch!
  • And finally, on a more pleasant note, I'm looking forward to us watching S's grandbaby, Preston, this weekend. He is now nineteen months old and just the sweetest baby you'd ever want to spend a few days chasing. As S and I say frequently to each other, "He's such a HAPPY baby!" He's also SUCH A BOY! He loves to push buttons on things. To that end, I bought him a baby "cellphone" that has a keypad, makes sounds and lights up too! He LOVES it. He walks around the house, pushing the buttons and offering up the cellphone for us to talk too. "Can you hear me NOW?"
  • I'm posting this at 5 in the morning. Earlier, I couldn't sleep. Now, I'm tired. I'm going back to bed.

No comments: