Monday, May 15, 2006

so-o-oooo sleeepy!

Dragon Mood? -- recalling memories, holding the sleepiness at bay

Yes, in fact, I'm so sleepy I added an extra 'e' to sleep and I'm not correcting it! Hmmph!

It's Monday, it's rainy, it's a bit on the coldish side ... and I'm in post-Mother's Day sleepy mode. Whew!

What a busy Mother's Day S had! -- and I watched. But don't get me wrong; that was fine with me! We negotiated earlier in the week that she would do all the party & food preparation for yesterday. As a mother, I'm at a point in my motherhood where I was ready to kick back and have people wait on me for a day, instead of the other way around. S was pretty determined to wait on the kids. Have at it, honey!

Actually, I must say (and I did say to her), "S, you did an excellent job!" The party was jumpin' and the food was good. Everybody showed up around 1 yesterday afternoon. S had made a big pot of chili the night before. She also prepared sweet 'n sour cukes-and-onions, jalapeno cornbread and a big batch of brownies. Of course, Tim dug into the brownies first. That was the first break in the chow-food dam. Then, everybody had to have a brownie, followed by chili, of course. Of course!

The house was literally filled with people -- every room had two, three, four or more. Preston, at a now totally mobile 14 months, was everywhere. S and I kept saying, "Sorry, the house isn't baby-proofed," as we moved this piece of pottery or snatched up those stray thumbtacks sitting on the coffee table(!) Thankfully, baby Preston was way-outnumbered by adults who can still reach places he can't reach! We kept one step ahead of him (barely) and kept him safe!

Of course, after the food gorging, there was a brief period of time while everyone lurched around, trying not to fall asleep as their blood sugar dropped. Then, suddenly, the dining room table was magically cleared and the call went out for "Euchre!" Six people showed up for a four-person game, while several others played the piano, played with the baby or played with their thumbs!

S's younger, somewhat estranged sister, Andrea, called unexpectedly from California, certainly a highlight of the day for S and her mom, Sally. They each got to talk with her for some healthy, "reconnecting" time.

And certainly a highlight for me was my unexpected nap with the baby. He and I got sleepy about the same time so I offered to lay down with him. He fought his sleepiness for a while, but warm milk in his tummy and a heavy head prevailed and he eventually conked out, his head on my arm. I listened to the sound and the feel of his breath on my face. Completely and utterly sweet! I couldn't think of a more timely gift than getting to nap with baby Preston on Mother's Day. It reminded me of all the times I watched my own children sleep their sweet sleep and rue that I didn't take even more time to watch them. Sleeping babies: peaceful, reposed, with such beautiful cheeks, delicate eyelashes and pouty pink- red lips. They are definitely one of God's most precious gifts to us unseeing, presumptuous humans.

I did get to talk with each of my now-grown babies, Lina in the morning with a clearly-intuited call while I was at Soldans and Josh while I drove to the pied-a-terre late last night. Talking with each of them definitely made my day complete. I felt special!

No comments: