Saturday, February 11, 2006

Fleeting Saturday morning

Dragon Mood? -- feeling good

Since my job lay-off, I have had intermittent bouts of insomnia. I think it goes with the territory. Last night was another one. I went to bed around 11:30 or midnight; by 4:30, I was awake. I laid in bed until 5:30, gave up on falling asleep again and got up. I made myself some hot tea, played the piano in the early morning darkness (something which I love) and simply 'existed' in the moment. I didn't think about tomorrow or yesterday or money. No mean feat when you're out of a job.

Around 7, I got online and began doing my taxes with Turbo Tax Online. This is probably the fourth, fifth, maybe even sixth year (?) I've used their software. I have no complaints with it, and it's certainly cheaper and easier than seeing a person to do my taxes. I really like the fact that it "remembers" data from the previous year and references it as I work my way through the process. For some reason, the software "remembering" is oddly comforting.

After a couple of hours (and a couple of wrong paths -- duh!) I've completed an initial pass through the software. I forgot one document at the pied-a-terre that I really need -- so I'll complete my taxes two weeks from now, after we get back from Florida.

Which brings me to the enjoyable part of this post; we leave for St. Pete's Beach on Valentine's Day and we'll be there for a whole, lovely, entire WEEK! That's something we have talked about for a number of years, but never made the commitment before to really do it. This year, thanks to Joann's great internet condo-rental sleuthing, we can afford to stay for seven days and seven nights. I say "afford" with tongue in cheek. As I'm unemployed, we can't really afford to do anything like this, but, what the hell, we're doing it!

An additional incentive for taking the week-in-Florida plunge is that S turns 50 this week, an event any 49-year-old-plus woman will agree deserves lots of hooplah. Jeanne and Joanne will be joining us for four of our seven days there. We plan to go out on S's birthday for a big grouper dinner and many drinks! I think it will be great!

Today, now that I've leaped over the taxes hurdle, only two things remain to do: watch the Michigan State vs. Minnesota basketball game (men's) at 2:30 p.m. and ... pack my suitcase. I've already pulled it out and piled a bunch of brightly colored, short-sleeved tops in there. Now I need to get serious and really figure out what I'm taking and not taking.

Oh, I can imagine the sun's warmth and the ocean breezes already! Mmmm!

No comments: