Saturday, February 19, 2005

... running my hands through the sand

Dragon Mood? -- loving it

... running my hands through the sand, I look up from my book, scan the water's edge for S, meandering down the beach as she does, looking for that next exquisite seashell. Gulls are wheeling overhead, screaming. Children's voices, excited, shouting, float in the wind. I close my eyes. The air is so wonderfully warm. I dig my toes further down in the sand.

(sounds of someone waking up) Uh, er, ohh. Damn, I must have fallen asleep at the keyboard. Shit, I hate when that happens! I was dreaming of being in Florida, St. Pete's, on the beach. S and I, in our annual February getaway weekend. We were sitting on some old sand chairs. I could feel the sun on my skin. The air felt warm and full of moisture, like only Florida beach air can feel.

Can you tell that I'm missing our weekend this year? Yes, you probably can. I'm missing it more than I ever would have imagined. I'm really missing the sensory stuff, the sun, the wind, the sounds. The scritchy-scratchy sound I make walking on the sand. I miss the moisture in the air and the smell of the ocean water.

I miss watching all the people walking up and down the beach. Winter residents, usually pep-steppers, march determinedly towards their centanarian birthdays while vacationing couples tend to mosey along. Some people look so focused, determined to relax and have a good time (dammit); others looking lost and dazed, like "how did I get on this beach?" Parents try to shepherd their wandering children along. It reminds me of the old saying, "trying to herd a bunch of cats." I laugh at the image.

S and I have gone to Florida for a long weekend, usually on President's Day weekend, for a number of years. I forget how many. Usually we go with our friends, J & J, who are both teachers, and thus desperately in need of a reprieve from kids and classrooms. We have an easy comraderie with them. We can go our separate ways, enjoy our space, and yet, look forward to beach time and cocktail hour with one another, replete with stories, conversations and lots of laughing.

J & J are down there now, this weekend, with our mutual friend, Kevin. I'm sure they're out on the beach, running, sunning and having a good time. I wish we were there with you guys.

2 comments:

kordless said...

I think you should get up, pack a bag and friggen go right this second.

Life is to short man.

Mary said...

Yeah, I agree, Kord. Life is too short and I miss opportunities that I regret later.