Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Tsunami

Dragon Mood? -- troubled

I wanted to post some light-hearted words in this 'tween-time after Christmas and before the New Year's celebrations. But with news of this horrific tsunami that has hit so many coastal areas on the Indian Ocean, it just doesn't feel quite right to do so.

CNN is reporting over 33,000 dead this morning. That is ten times the number of people who died on 9/11.

I am embarrassed to say that I had to look at a map to understand how a tsunami could affect so many different places. I wasn't sure exactly where Indonesia is located. I had never heard of Myanmur (it used to be Burma).

Here's a graphic from a Chinese newspaper:



(The clarity on the image isn't great, but it will have to do.)

I am holding all those grieving survivors in my heart. What a tragedy!


[Update as of 12:15 p.m. EST: the news wires are now updating the death toll from the tsunami:
  • Indonesia: 27,174
  • Sri Lanka: 17,640
  • India: 8,523
  • Thailand: 1,516
  • Myanmar: 90
  • Malaysia: 65
  • Maldives: 55
  • Bangladesh: 2
  • Somalia 100
  • Tanzania 10
----------------------------
  • Total: 55,175

Again, this tsunami has caused incredible destruction, devastation and loss of life.]



No comments: