Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Numbers, drugs and paths not taken

Dragon Mood? -- can you hear me now?

I need to take some time and post about numbers. Numbers that include too-high insulin, too-high cholesterol, too-high CRP (chemical reactive protein) and too-high some-thyroid-gobbledy-gook antibody.

And then I need to take some time and post about drugs. Drugs like good ol' Lipitor (hey, I've seen a zillion ads on TV for you!), Avandia (they must have a $0 budget for TV ads, cuz I've never heard of you) and S's long-time favorite, Synthroid.

And then, there's the conversation about the path to diabetes, the path we will not take, and the dietitian and the diabetes classes and the thyroid that is acting like an old-time light bulb (Zzzt -- it's on! Zzzt -- it's off!) which somehow makes me think of the movie, Erin Brockovitch, and sepia-toned images of industrial sites that are polluting our world.

(Oh yes, and did you hear about the nodule on your lung? A nodule on my lung? Yes, a nodule on your lung.)

But, amidst all this expectant posting of the discombobulated sort, there is anticipation of the real and sweet kind: seeing my kids Friday evening, wrapping my arms around them, smelling her hair, feeling his five-o'clock shadow on my cheek, all of us cracking open a beer at one in the morning to celebrate our reunion. Then -- maybe then -- I will tell them about all of this stuff.

No comments: