Monday, November 13, 2006

Two doors closing

Dragon Mood? -- feeling the imperceptible breath of destiny

Last week I had the distinct sensation of hearing two doors closing.

The first one I closed. My former employer, one of the Big Three automakers, wanted me to come back and do the type of work I did for over twelve years for them. After a day's deliberation, I decided that "Nope, this doesn't feel right" and turned them down. Four days later, it still feels right. I'm glad that I didn't take the job.

The second door was closed to me. An international aviation supplier company that I had interviewed with called to tell me that they had chosen the other candidate. From a large pool, it was down to the two of us and they chose the other guy. Damn. I was disappointed, but I am trying to live by what S and I have been saying to one another, "Trust the process. The Universe (God) has a plan and we have to trust the process." I did have the presence of mind to say to the HR person that called, "Well, if this candidate, for whatever reason, doesn't work out, I hope that Mr. R and Mr. T will reconsider me as a candidate." (sigh) Politically correct. Businesslike and positive. Hopefully, anyway.

And ... this provides me with another opportunity to be thankful for the job that I have, temporary and transient and interim though it may be. Every hour that I work is another little chunk of money in my paycheck. Ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk. I am thankful for it and don't want to take it for granted. Not for a minute.

Thank you, God, for this job. I am trusting this process .... this process of unemployment and and insecurity and vulnerability. I believe there is a purpose to all of this -- even if I am never able to know it.

No comments: