Thursday, July 20, 2006

A four-page application

Dragon Mood? -- oddly exhilarated

Having just sallied forth, out into an impending thunderstorm, that unexpectedly turned into a summer cloudburst ...

I gingerly sat down in their artsy chair for artsy customers, filled out the four-page application (they want to know what are my personal goals? Do I have any?) and savored the feeling of twisting myself into yet another variation of a human pretzel, applying for a job.

I am home now, ahh, the sweet expansive bliss of being out of a linen interview suit and back in my Farmer Jean denim overalls, pondering the meaning of life and design. The following quote somehow seems appropriate:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
--Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long, from Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"

No comments: