Sunday, January 08, 2006

not a typical Sunday morning

Dragon Mood? -- anxious, ambivalent

Usually, I enjoy posting on calypsoDragon13 on weekend mornings. I woke up feeling like I wanted to write, but now ........ I also feel like I need to do something to find myself a job!

These are the moments, the times when I must trust, trust, TRUST that things are going to be okay, that God guides me in all that I do. I am not alone. God is very much present. I need to trust that.

(deep breath) Whew!

Have I talked about the weather recently?? (laughing) Well, here in Michigan the weather can change literally in moments. Or not! Our friend, Kevin, told me yesterday that Friday was the first day of sun here in 21 days! Yes, 21 days! It has been incredibly gray and gloomy, like someone threw a gray wool blanket over the entire region. (Even Lina and Yosh commented on the lack of sun while they were here visiting.)

So Friday, my last day on the job, I left work around 11:30, had lunch with Trice at the nearby Tim Horton's, swung by the pied-a-terre, picked up the dog and headed home to the pine trees. It was sunny! It was so sunny, I needed my cool Italian aviator sunglasses. Wonderful to finally see the sun!

And then guess what? Yesterday, Saturday, the gloom and grayness had returned. Along with with an ice rain/snow mixture that left all the side roads a treachery waiting to happen.

Jeanne and Joanne called at mid-day and invited us to join them and Kevin at the local theater to see a matinee showing of Brokeback Mountain. Go see it; it is wonderful and heartbreaking all at the same time. The cinematography is gorgeous as one might expect. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger do fantastic jobs as the two protagonists of the movie. I especially enjoyed watching Jake Gyllenhaal. What a beautiful man! It's a love story in every sense of the word, lovely and tragic at the same time. Jeanne commented how much like a Greek tragedy it seemed.

After the movie, we headed over to Max & Erma's for a light dinner and then hit the Schuler's bookstore for a little book-browsing and a cup of coffee. We sat around a table and talked about our ever-so-slowly evolving plans for the future and retirement. By 9 o'clock, everyone took turns yawning. We all laughed at our aging selves.

As soon as we got home (safely), S helped me put my new YakTrax cleats on my boots and I safely and comfortably took the dog for a long walk around the neighborhood. I didn't slip once. I strongly recommend them for folks who are winter runners and/or winter dogwalkers. They DO the job!

No comments: