Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Mid-week mid-March mid-madness

I haven't posted in several days.

So much has happened.

S's grandma had a heart attack last Thursday. She is now living with her daughter, Sally (S's mother) only two or three minutes from the garage where the EMTs are dispatched, so she was in the ER within minutes of calling 911. Thankfully, the heart attack was not too severe and she is now home, recuperating and recovering.

Friday, I remembered my mother's death twelve years ago, on another Good Friday morning.

Later that day, our dog, Cisco, was acting oddly, like she was in pain. S took her to the vet's and I met them there. The vet checked her out and prescribed some anti-inflammatory pills for possible joint pain.

It was also the second weekend of March Madness, where the sixty-four teams have been whittled down to the Sweet Sixteen. I love March Madness. Our beloved Spartans handled Old Dominion with no real difficulty and even put the Cinderella team, Vermont, permanently out of the Dance.

Friday night was the big MSU-Duke basketball game. And I mean BIG! After our scare with the dog, S and I were both ready to settle in for the night, geeked to watch what was sure to be a heart-thumper of a game. Instead, ... we went over to J & J's house after they called, as we hadn't seen them (or been invited over) in a too-long period of time. It was a fun evening and thankfully, we DID get to watch the game, thrills and all. I even broke down and drank three dirty martinis!

Saturday was more long-distance monitoring of Grandma. S spent quite a bit of time on the phone with two of her three sisters. Thankfully, S's mother finally called about Grandma's heart attack(!), despite her damnable game-playing and manipulations. We debated on possibly driving up north. Instead, we cleaned out one display cabinet, shuttled all sorts of delicate seashells, coral and sea effluvia to another display case, and then S arranged it all with great care and her good right eye.

I started on some early spring cleaning by laundering and ironing our lacy white cotton bedroom curtains (which have always reminded me of the lacy tips of a white slip showing from underneath a skirt -- does that sound Southern belle-ish or what?). Since it was the day before Easter, I decided it might be time to pick up all the last remaining remnants of Christmas decorations and yes, even put small Christmas trees away. I went through several stacks of fresh mail, as well as old, stale mail. We watched more basketball late Saturday afternoon and into the evening. Have I said how much I LOVE March Madness??

Sunday, I spent time on the computer, posting about my Easter/church guilt. I'm still thinking about that.

I love March Madness! Last night, S and I went over to the Oxford for a light dinner and an opportunity to watch the MSU Spartan women play against Stanford in the NCAA's Elite Eight! The Spartans smoked 'em, 77-69.

Yup, a lot has happened over this past week!

No comments: