Thursday, June 24, 2010

Brother Squares, Sister Triangles

Dragon Mood? -- fondly remembering

Iwoke up this morning, thinking about my son, Joshua, remembering him as a little boy.

One of the things I remember is making Josh peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches. The current (at that time) parenting gurus all advised giving children choices whenever possible, in order to stimulate their thinking, be more self-aware and to get comfortable learning to make decisions(!).

One of the choices I gave Josh was how did he want his sandwich cut? Brother Squares or Sister Triangles? Brother Squares was cutting the sandwich into four quarters, from midpoint to midpoint of each side of the bread, creating four small squares. Sister Triangles, as you may guess, was cutting the sandwich through the corner points of the bread, thus making four small triangles.

My recollection, though hazy, is that Caroline usually selected triangles, hence the name. Josh initially liked the orthogonal cuts, so they became Brother Squares. Later, he would change it up, selecting one, then the other, torn between his admiration for his god-like, older sister and his need to differentiate himself from the tyrant who was that same sister. I chuckle as I write, remembering this.

Josh, now with a degree in mathematics and a successful actuary, works with numbers, probability and risk.   Laying in bed, it suddenly occurred to me and I laughed at myself as I pondered it, why didn't I introduce him to Brother Squares, Sister Triangles and Buckminster Fuller Hexagons?   What kind of awesome choices would those have been?

No comments: