Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life with its funny twists and turns

Dragon Mood? -- surprised at my surprise!

Between doing laundry, steaming straight creases on some incredibly rumpled new work pants and waiting for the televised fireworks, I had a realization.

Not just any realization, mind you, but a "Wow" realization: Today, June 23rd, WOULD HAVE BEEN my thirty-fifth wedding anniversary ... if I were still married. But that's not the "Wow" moment.

I had turned to S and told her that I was really glad that I was with her and that we are sharing our lives. She smiled and asked with that I'm-so-glad-you-said-that look, "Really?"

"Yeah," I replied. But if you had told me thirty-five years ago (when I was all of TWENTY!), that in 2008, I would be sitting with my PARTNER, a woman, whom I've been with ... uh, going on 22 years, I NEVER would have believed you. Thank God we don't really know what life brings us! We might find it unbelievable!

That was when my "Wow" moment hit.

No comments: