Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day weekend recap

Dragon Mood? -- subdued

It's Tuesday evening -- I'm back at work. Unlike some of my coworkers who made the usual comments about the weekend not being long enough ... I'm feeling like I did have a weekend. It was relaxing, it was long enough and I'm still feeling extremely thankful to have a job right now. Which I'm glad to be working at right now (actually I'm on my lunch break).
S and I did have a pretty low-key weekend. We putzed around the house a bit. We re-installed the fountain on the deck after she waterproofed it two weekends ago. We visited and shared a spicy rib dinner with our eager-to-entertain neighbor and young-78-year-old lawnboy, Bill. I threw some cole slaw together and we took a store-bought apple pie as a thank-you for Bill. We watched an absolute wasteland of TV on Saturday night and I was bummed that we hadn't rented some DVDs for the evening. Just how many commercials can the broadcasters jam into one hour's worth of TV ... while re-airing tired and/or violent old movies? Yecch!
Sunday, J & J invited us over for a pontoon ride and dinner. Geez, did we have fun! At least I did! I think S was tired and feeling a bit under the weather from her ongoing thryoid problems. The weather was gorgeous. We spent at least a couple of hours toodling (is "toodling" a word?) around the lake, watching other boaters, picnickers, houses around the lakeshore and drunken partyers in the middle of the lake.
The highlight of the pontoon ride (for me) was at dusk as we watched the whooping cranes return to their lake "safe harbor" for the night. Their yodel-y warbles, calling and replying, never fail to enthrall me with nature's primeval beauty. And, of course, the sunset on the lake was lovely, with Mother Nature putting on a spectacular watercolor show. I wish I could paint like that!
Monday was another beautiful late-summer Michigan day. The temperatures were in the low 70s and the humidity was low, as well -- in a word, perfect! I sat out on the deck in the morning, did a few sudoku puzzles, and called my Uncle George. It was great to hear his voice after these many months of not talking. My cousin, Brenda, was there too so I got to talk briefly with her also.
Late in the afternoon, we took a ride into south Lansing to deliver numerous boxes of children's books to Matt and Sarah, in anticipation of their little girl, Madison, making her appearance in the world ... 17 more days to go! Bless her heart, Sarah was very gracious about having four boxes of books rather unceremoniously dumped in her living room. S was happy to get them out of the back of the truck and delivered for Sarah and Lindsey to divide.
I complained to S that I couldn't remember the last time that I had had a hot meal (not including burgers and/or ribs). She responded by driving us to an all-night diner for a mashed-potatoes-gravy-peas-and-pork-chop dinner! It was heavenly! We got home, packed up our stuff and headed down here to the pied-a-terre. A nice long weekend!

No comments: