Thursday, September 21, 2006

Celebrating Madison's imminent arrival

So ... Sarah and Matt are at the hospital trying to have a baby. Caroline and I are both at work, pretending to be engaged in our tasks, but really thinking about Sarah, about the baby and simply enjoying chatting with each other on Gmail's messaging tool. As part of the fun and excitement of Madison's imminent arrival, we had an informal "pool" going on the time of her about-to-be birth.

3:35 PM Caroline: I said 4:55, you've got 5:55, Hope's got 6:24 and Steph's making Sarah suffer all the way to 7:32.
So, how are we doing this -- just whomever is closest to the time, regardless of whether you go over or not? So, if she goes anywhere up until 5:24:59, I win? And what do I win, exactly?
3:36 PM Caroline: Do I get to be the baby's God Dragon Mother? I WANT TO BE A GOD DRAGON MOTHER! Speaking of which, do we know what this kid's Chinese sign will be?
I'll go check...
3:38 PM me : I don't know .... I think we're talking about a drink or a shot of tah-kill-yah or something like that!
3:39 PM As for being the baby's God Dragon Mother .... sheesh, I dunno! Sounds like a little pagan and piratical to me!
3:40 PM Caroline: And, your point is???
3:41 PM me: Ha-ha-ha ....
3:43 PM Caroline: Whooo-hoo! She's gonna be a FIRE DOG!
me: ... Oooh, a FIRE DOG!
Cool!
3:44 PM Caroline:I think a fire dog sounds WAY cool!
Not quite as cool as a fire dragon, but we can't all be perfect...
3:45 PM :D
me: ha-ha-ha
Or cool like a WATER dragon!
Caroline: Or ANY kind of dragon!
Dragons are the best
3:46 PM Caroline: Bestest dragonestest!
3:49 PM me: Did you ever text-message Matt?
4:05 PM Caroline: You know, I wonder if cell phones are even allowed to be on in the rooms? Matt might not have even gotten my text message.
me: Oh, that's probably the case ... but EVENTUALLY he'll get it, tell Sarah and they'll have a good laugh about it ... after she's done PUSHING THAT BABY OUT!
4:06 PM Caroline : Yep!
4:14 PM me: Sarah is in quite a bit of pain/discomfort, so the doc gave her another epidural. He said to expect that things will probably move right along now.

Later
Caroline: I'm bugging on outta here -- give me a call on my cell when you have any more info on the Fire Puppy. Love you!

Later still
Caroline: Hello-hello! Are you there? I'm home from my dinner. Any news on Madison's first few hours?

Well, Madison was born at 4:36 p.m., an arrival so unexpectedly early even the doctor didn't make her delivery! She arrived healthy and well, with all ten fingers and toes, 7 lbs. 6 oz., all 19-3/4 inches of her beautiful and perfect. Mommy and Daddy (I hear) were ecstatic and emotional.

As for me, I'm giddily celebrating for Matt and Sarah and their new baby daughter. I'm ALSO celebrating (once again) MY wonderful daughter, the delightfully deranged Lina, the Fire Dragon, the wenchiest wench and piratical Wendish princess this side of the Mississippi! I love you, Lina!


No comments: