Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A returned slacker blogger

Dragon Mood? -- sleepily stunned at my long absence


Wow, have I ever been a slacker blogger! My last post was -- how long ago? -- three weeks ago? Hard to believe! I guess I've been a bit preoccupied.

One of the things I've been busy with is job hunting. Since my last post, I've applied for eight to ten jobs. At least. The good news is that I have a phone interview today for a job in northern Indiana. The bad news is that I have insomnia, it's 3:20 a.m. right now and I'm not sleeping. ArrrghH!

I think the even larger thing that has occupied my psychic space, so to speak, is my flying trip to Texas, to the family farm, weekend before last. Seven of us (everyone except S and Luke) flew down to the farm for the sheer joy of it, just to be with our extended family, aging aunts and uncles, and of course, to see our dad/grandpa.

It was an accelerated trip, and yet, the time down there felt like just the right amount of time, given the HIGH intensity of the gathering and all the attendant emotional drama that went with it.

What emotional drama you may ask? Angst over what airport to fly into; a stuck cow; tachycardia attacks from emotional anxiety; a swirling, spiraling toilet problem that ended in complete and utter sewer failure; misplaced cheddar cheese -- the list goes on.

But, in the same breath, I can cite lovely, enjoyable moments like sitting in the farmhouse kitchen on the old wooden bench, watching sleepy-eyed adults stumble into the tender morning bonhomie like they were five-year olds again, hearing Aunt Doris's, "Well, good MORNING!" greeting, smelling the tantalizing fragrance of Uncle Hemie's venison sausage, feeling the oh-so-familiar good energy as people scrambled about the house, walking down to the pond dodging the cow pies, seeing the blue, blue Texas sky, listening to people laugh and laugh and laugh with one another -- well, there were many, many moments like that, moments that thankfully far outweighed the 'problem' ones.

I must confess that I had entered the weekend with my own emotional trepidation, feelings that, for the most part, evaporated once I was with my family members. The weekend was lovely, just the kind of experience that I had hoped for even though I couldn't imagine nor visualize in the days preceding the weekend.

No comments: