Friday, January 07, 2005

Easy Rider -- 35 years later

Dragon Mood? -- "uh . . . like groovy, mannnnnn!"

S and I just watched "Easy Rider" on the AMC channel. You know that was made in 1969? (I looked it up on the imdb website.)

What a trippy film! I honestly don't remember going to see it, but what do I know? I was seventeen at the time, dating my ex-husband and at that time, movies usually were for making out, not watching!

First of all, Peter Fonda has got to be the cleanest, most nicely-coiffed hippie guy I ever saw. Dennis Hopper is a little more authentic. Was this a satire on the hippie generation? Or was it a commentary on the rest of America, with their small-town parades, obnoxious rednecks and self-righteous law enforcement? I'm really not sure.

My favorite part, hands down, was the campfire conversation between the young and handsome George Hansen (Jack Nicholson, in all his youthful swagger) and Dennis Hopper. They talked about satellites, Venutians marrying into the earthly population, freedom, challenging the status quo and the dangers inherent in doing so. I could listen to it again!

The whole first half, in contrast, felt like a paeon to the beauty and natural wonders of western America. I wonder if that helped contribute to the founding of the first Earth Day, on May 1st, 1970?

Wow, do I feel old or what? (laughing)


No comments: