Thursday, August 12, 2010

Reflecting on my first week of work

Dragon Mood? -- capturing some thoughts swirling around in my head

It's the morning of my fourth day of work after 15 months of unemployment and job seeking. I am still in the throes of adapting back to a work life and work schedule. Some random thoughts of mine:


  • It takes energy to be 'on task', paying attention, soaking up information, not looking like you're wasting time. This week, in particular, I'm very aware of projecting good perceptions of myself as a worker.
  • I am surprised and truly pleased at how much I'm enjoying the small-company atmosphere of this workplace. It's been well over 20 years since I worked in such a small group and I like it!
  • Comparing this workplace environment to my last employer's workplace environment, I am struck by how confining, restrictive and fearful a place my former place of employment was. Truly STRUCK! How did I survive in such a place? Just based on the number of times I've thought about that in the past three days, that old, negative environment left much more of a scar on me than I ever realized before now.
  • A new coworker made some casual yet negative comments about President Obama yesterday.  I didn't bite on them and after sleeping on it, I think I'm going to keep my political tendencies to myself.  I just don't want to get in a political pissing match with coworkers ... not yet, at least.
  • My work wardrobe is feeling a bit old and worn.  I need to keep my eyes open for some snappy, casual clothes to supplement these poor old work horses.
  • I am about to jump off the high dive today and begin talking with clients OUT THERE. A bit scary, you know? But I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that I'm going to succeed and will do well at connecting with people. Hopefully, I can make a difference in some peoples' lives, help them get employed ... and I can become a successful recruiter. Wouldn't that be awesome?

No comments: