Sunday, July 19, 2009

A quiet July Sunday

Dragon Mood? -- reflective

Sunday morning used to be a busy time for me: playing the organ at church or hurrying children along to go to church or warming up my voice with the choir before worship services. Ahh, that all feels rather long ago. Now my Sunday mornings are much, much quieter. And that actually feels good to me. Rather than so much busy-ness, I feel some quiet in my heart. If God decided to talk to me, there might be a snowball's chance in hell of my hearing God!

This has been a rather slow, reflective week for me. Sad in some ways. I am still grieving Cisco's death. I see her coming around the corner or waiting for me at the door. Before, I couldn't get up from my seat without her jumping up as well to shepherd me to my destination. Now, traversing the house, I move unimpeded, a strange unwelcome reminder.

My search for a job this past week was half-hearted, at best. I felt like I was moving in slo-o-ow motion. Thinking back, the only thing that really impacted me was watching Republican senators try to penetrate Sonia Sotomayor's imperturbable calm. More than once, I felt like yelling at the TV screen.

S worked tremendously long hours this past week. She has a not-to-be-missed deadline coming up. I spent one or two evenings on Jan & Tom's porch with them, drinking red wine, visiting, laughing and simply enjoying being in the company of people. They are such good neighbors and friends!

S's mother, Sally, is here with us this weekend. Last night, we had an awesome bonfire in our rolling firepit out on the driveway. Sally and I fed the fire while S did some woodworking in the garage. I gave it up around midnight, but those two intrepid night owls stayed out there until after 3 a.m.! Amazing!

I hope this next week is better for me. More productive. Happier. That's my hope.

No comments: