Sunday, May 03, 2009

Saturday recap

Dragon Mood? -- musing

Sunday morning and my brain is feeling all cotton-y and slo-o-ow. I'm all ready on my second cup of coffee, so what's my excuse?

Yesterday seemed like a busy and slightly discombobulated day. We slept in, arose slowly and gently and I made us a yummy onion-broccoli-and-tomato omelette. S took the landscape trailer over to our friends, J & J, for them to use. I headed off to town to do some errands.

Purchased yet another large, covered saucepan to replace the expensive one that started peeling off its Teflon coating. ArrrghhH! Went to Meijers, bought groceries as well as eco-friendly fluorescent bulbs and remanufactured ink cartridges for our long-dead printer. Don't get me wrong, I really like shopping at Meijers, but, oh my gosh, even the remanned ones are incredibly expensive! Yet ANOTHER consumer rip-off!

I'll try to keep this consumer tirade short, but I get so DAMN tired of being exploited by our money-crazed, take-em-for-all-they're-worth corporations and culture! Cooking utensils that peel toxic substances into our food. Printers that need ridiculously expensive cartridges. It makes me want to scream , long and loud.

(heavy sigh) Okay, I feel a little better now.

Anyway, I returned home to a quiet, empty house. S and son, Mark, had taken two of the three grandbabies for an ice cream cone. The grandbabies are really not babies any more, not literally, but they are babies to us. Preston is now four, very chatty and animated (especially after a sugary ice cream cone). Madison is two-and-a-half and and an extremely focused, I-will-not-be-swayed type of little girl. I predict that she will be a force to be reckoned with in her lifetime ... and that requires no crystal ball to say that!

When the four of them returned, the energy meter went from 'still' to 'off the charts.' Mark and I talked, Stephnie played with the kids and read them a story. She fed them some pizza and milk. Grandma, I want this, Grandma, what about that? Poor Steph, she was in a whirlwind. I sat pretty much still, quiet and watched with a little bit of amusement. Be careful what you ask for ... you may GET IT!

After Mark and the grandbabies left, she and I watched Changeling, a lovely though incredibly sad movie based on a true story. Angelina Jolie was beautiful, as usual, but the depiction of the LAPD back in the 1920s had me swearing at the TV. I got pretty upset watching it. I didn't know that the movie had been directed by Clint Eastwood. And Steph and I both enjoyed feeling the slow pace of that time. Are there places where you can still live at that pace?

No comments: