Friday, January 11, 2008

Welcome email

Ireceived a welcome email the other day; it was entitled "Company Opportunity" and was an invitation to fill out an application for direct employment with The Company that I've been working with for the past seven months.

I went in to my boss's boss's office and thanked him for the opportunity to apply.  He encouraged me to fill it out that evening and get it turned in the next morning -- all of which I did.

This morning, I heard from an account executive for the contract house with whom I've been working.  He informed that The Company wanted to know what they (the contract house) were paying me.  Eek!

I'm feeling excited and yet scared that The Company may extend me an offer that will include a low-ball salary.  I'm not quite sure how to handle that.  My income has either declined or been flat (and flat with inflation, to my way of thinking, is equivalent to declining) for the past eight years.  Talk about the eroding middle-class income!  I could be the poster child for that!

I asked for an annual salary that is 20% above what I currently make ... and currently I'm paid strictly as an hourly worker. 

I need to talk to some people.  Some of my peeps, you know?  Get a feel as to what to expect.  What's reasonable.  What's not.  Stay tuned.

No comments: