Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Turning 53

Dragon Mood? -- celebratory

Yesterday was my 53rd birthday.

I woke up sleepy and cotton-headed. I moved slowly. S wished me "Happy Birthday" with a sweetness rarely heard so early in the morning. I fixed coffee and hot oatmeal for us, a morning ritual that I'm growing to love.

I dressed carefully, putting on my red turtleneck, my brown cashmere sweater and my fiery, oh-so-Sagittarinan scarf from Ruth. I spent extra time with my hair. I rubbed moisturizer into my face to ease the dry tightness of my skin and hopefully diminish the increasing number of wrinkles. I looked good, I felt good.

My first phone call was from Yosh. (Actually, Lina called earlier but I missed her call.) My first received phone call was from Yosh. Did he sing to me? Yes, I think he did. Then Ruth called. She sang Happy Birthday to me in her smiling, soprano voice and offered lots of loving, congratulatory thoughts.

I got a lovely sotto-voce call from mijita, Lina, and we laughed heartily about my not recognizing her cold-induced baritone voice. I heard from Dad and Evelyn; from S at midday checking on how my birthday was going; from Don, a former boss; from Ron, a sweet guy (who I know is just dying to find out how truly good my omelets can be!); from Trice, my knitting buddy, with a silly, naughty e-card; from my cousin, Brenda, down in Texas who will always be four days older than me(!); from (in the most surprising call of the day) S's mom, Sally, and Grandma; from a former co-worker, Dennis, in California who never forgets my birthday; from my dear Uncle George in Texas; and finally, from our very own hurricane-survivors, Doris and Hemie, in Port Arthur, Texas.

By the time I left work, I felt remembered, lifted up and truly celebrated! Life can be wonderful and my birth day was definitely a wonder of love and care.
----
UPDATE: I also received a form letter from the car salesman (make that used car salesman) that I bought my Mazda Protege from this summer, wishing me a Happy Birthday. At the bottom he wrote, "No table dancing!" But of course!

No comments: